Reducing Emissions was the first publication of its kind in Canada; before 1992, no Canadian industry was publicly reporting its emissions, let alone setting ambitious targets to reduce them.
In 2013, the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada published the 20th anniversary edition of its Reducing Emissions report. It shows that over the past two decades, through their commitment to Responsible Care®, CIAC members have:
- reduced emissions of known and suspected carcinogens by 98 per cent;
- reduced emissions of ozone depleting substances by 99 per cent;
- reduced discharges to water by 98 per cent;
- reduced emissions of toxins targeted by the Canadian Environmental Protection Act by 89 per cent; and
- reduced the global-warming potential of their operations by 60 per cent.
Today, a unit of Canadian chemical product is manufactured with 87 per cent fewer emissions than in 1992.
To download a pdf version of the 20th anniversary Reducing Emissions report, click here.
To read the executive summary, click here.
For detailed company-specific emissions data, click here.
For a list of company contacts, click here.